Monday, March 1, 2010

Hospitality is Not a Bad Word

by Carrie

I was talking to a friend recently and we were discussing how genuinely sad it is that Christians these days are so prone to avoid being 'given to hospitality' instead of drawn to it. We were wondering if it is something that could be taught, or could be learned and the answer is, "I just don't know." I think it grows on you throughout life and most certainly it would appear in 1 Peter, Chapter 4 that as Christians we should be ready and willing to offering it according to our gifts.

So here's another little blog to toss out to the blog-o-sphere and it serves two purposes:

1. To encourage creativity in myself to practice hospitality; and

2. To encourages others to do the same.

I hope to share and swap ideas as we journey together, hopefully learning what it means to offer hospitality. I think it is an area of the Christian life that is made to sound harder than it really is. In essence, we've made a mountain out of a molehill. So, let's see how we can make it easier on ourselves to use the gifts that God has given us as individuals to benefit and serve those around us, eh?

Meanwhile, I'm just tinkering away on this site and letting my thoughts stew on the subject . . . stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. I think this is a splendid idea...as a Southern the subject of hospitality is near and dear to my heart! As a Christian I feel the imparitve command by Paul to be hospitable...to be hospitable without complaint. And, by inference to perform hospitality well...in all that we say and do DO ALL to the glory of God. I look forward to seeing future posts on this subject. Thank you for starting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think because of perfectionism and the fear of real or percieved judgement, it becomes overwhelming, and so easier not to bother, or make excuses. This is an area that I struggle with and I am trying t push myself in, so I am very excited about your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please add my e-mail address to get your blog. Thank you. Susan steveac@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the word itself conjures up ideas of formality, when hospitality can be small, intimate acts. I love the idea of this blog, I'm bookmarking it and can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete