Friday, March 19, 2010

Hospitalty Challenge, week 2

by Carrie

So how did you all do with last week's challenge?

If you remember, last week we challenged you to pray about how God would have you practice offering hospitality to others. We also suggested that one thing you might try doing this past week was to bake some cookies for someone else.

Offering hospitality doesn't have to be about inviting people over for dinner in your home. It can be practiced in many ways.

This week we ask you to consider offering hospitality to someone who you know, or who you think could use a little encouragement. As Crista pointed out, in today's day and age of e-mail and twitter accounts, taking the time to handwrite someone an honest-to-goodness note, (sent snail mail!) is a real treat. Today we're too busy to offer more than 160 characters of a brief update to our friends and family. Therefore this week we'd challenge you to grab a pen and a piece of paper. For $0.44 and around 10 minutes of your time, you have the opportunity of putting an honest-to-goodness smile on someone's face and encourage their heart a little. Try it this week! See what you think.

A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver. Proverbs 25:11

From our key scripture passage around here (1 Peter 4:8-11), we are given these instructions: "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others . . . If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. . . " Ephesians 5:19 encourages us to, "Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs..." so that we can be encouraged in our daily walk with God.

It is a gift to be able to speak encouraging words to another and sadly, a habit we aren't in the habit of considering or practicing. So this week, let's letting some choice words of life bless another person.

Ten minutes of your time + $0.44 = someone you know being made to feel special, thought of, and cared for.

3 comments:

  1. I like this challenge, I have become quite lackadaisical in my written correspondence, and I know how much *I* enjoy it when someone takes time out of their busy lives and mails me something.
    I am going to try and get this done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great timing for this challenge! I actually have 2 thank you notes I need to write this week for amazing hospitality I received this past weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement in this area: I am HORRIBLE at writing notes! Even thank you notes are a HUGE struggle for me, despite my good upbringing (thanks mom!). In the recent move I discovered I have TONS of stationery and cards, some from packs I bought in high-school.... over a decade ago!

    I really need some encouragement..... to encourage others in this way! Here's to writing one note a week?!? (at that rate it will still take me years to clear out my stash, haha!)

    Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete