Friday, April 16, 2010

Practicing Hospitality: Introduction

by Carrie

Side Note: Our Hospitality Challenges will now be offered every other week instead of every week. This should allow people more time for follow through (hint, hint!) The next challenge will post next week instead of today.

A few weeks back I purchased a copy of the book Practicing Hospitality: The Joy of Serving Others. Even just a few weeks in, I'm happy to make a strong recommendation on behalf of Pat Ennis and Lisa Tatlock and their book!

If you've known me online for awhile, it's probably through my regular book review site, Reading to Know. I write book reviews on a regular (read: daily) basis. However, it didn't take me long to figure out that I wanted to treat Practicing Hospitality in a little different manner than I usually so when I review a book online.

Instead of reviewing this book in total in a single post, I'm going to spend some time sharing my notes from each chapter of this book. Starting next week I'll begin walking chapter by chapter, highlighting what I think are some of their best points and sharing about how this book is impacting me personally. I would love to have you all along for the ride and would encourage you to grab your own copy of this book to read along with me! (In fact, if you plan to do that, let me know!)

From the introduction which states the general purpose of the book:

"Our book focuses on developing both the Christian character and practical skills so that the act of hospitality is a joy for the host and hostess and a source of encouragement for the guest. This book is a collaborative effort. Each of us has very different life experiences related to practicing hospitality, but we share a common commitment to biblical truth. Hopefully, this will be an encouragement for you to consider how you can uniquely and creatively practice hospitality." (Introduction, page 17)
Published by Crossway Books, this title had my instant trust and I've not been disappointed by anything I have found inside of it yet! I have been stretched and challenged and have gained new insights on the whole idea of what it means to practice hospitality. I'm eager to share my findings with you so stay tuned!

***
If you are interested in reading along with - we'll begin by discussing Chapter 1 on Monday the 26th.

7 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to do this. I just need to purchase the book first. HMMM maybe hubby will take me to the book store tonight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really looking forward to this review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad some of you will be following along with this. I updated the post but I have the first chapter discussion set to publish on April 26th. I'm so LOVING this book and am eager to share and talk about it with others! Just trying to narrow down the most relevant points.....yowee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie,

    I look forward to reading your notes and posts from this book. I'd not heard of it before. A book we own and would recommend on this topic is Radical Hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to read your affirming words. I will look forward to following your notes and posts. It is my prayer that PRACTICING HOSPITALITY will be an encouagement to you!
    Warmly in Him,
    Pat Ennis :-)
    Romans 12:13; Hebrews 13:2

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to see that you will be discussing this book here. I started reading through this one last year, did not finish. I want to finish so this 8 week discussion will be good for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete