Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Life That Says Welcome, by Karen Ehman

SUMMER BOOK REVIEW, COMING SOON!

Hi There! Crista, here. Yep...it's been a while since I've made an appearance around these parts. I'm a middle school math teacher in my other life and it's been a busy spring, but summer is finally here!! Yippee! This means I'm not only free of grading tests for 11 or so weeks, I'm also free to review a book for Offering Hospitality!

Coming this July, I'll be sharing my thoughts from the book A Life That Says Welcome by Karen Ehman. In her book, Mrs. Ehman shares from her heart and her experience about building hospitality into our lives simply, effectively, and with the right attitude.

A Life That Says Welcome is full practical tips for opening our lives and our homes to others, but the foundation of the book is why I chose it for our summer review! As I'll later discuss in greater depth, Mrs. Ehman spends the first two chapters laying this foundation: It's all about our heart in hospitality. It's not about the decorations, the meal, or the externals of hospitality...it's about the heart: doing what we can with what we have to bless others and give them a place of refreshment in our lives. This is a message I very much needed to hear, and I'm really looking forward to sharing it with all of you!

You can click on the picture or link above to learn more about the book. To give you just a taste, though, here's the description from the back cover of the book:
"When it comes to hospitality it doesn't matter what size your house is, how it's decorated, whether or not it's spotless, or what you cook or don't cook. The secret to making guests feel comfortable is more about the condition of your heart than the condition of your home.
"A Life That Says Welcome helps you make others feel refreshed, rather than impressed, in your presence. It's packed with inspiring tips on how to:


  • decorate well on a budget
  • make the most of your space (no matter how small)
  • be prepared for unexpected company
  • create delicious, simple meals your guests will enjoy
"You'll be encouraged to not only open your home but to open your life as an avenue for God's love everywhere you go."
If you can, get your hands on a copy of the book and look forward to following my review during the month of July. I would love to hear from you, too, as I share my thoughts later this summer!
Wishing you a wonderful start to the summer!
Crista

5 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about this book, and look forward to reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book a couple of years ago but look forward to reading it again and hearing your thoughts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't WAIT to hear your thoughts on this book! I haven't read it and so I'll be very curious to learn more about it. Thanks for leading us in this discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add me to the list of commenters eager to read your thoughts on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a newlywed, MANY years ago, I read a book called, "We Didn't Know They Were Angels," a down-to-earth, practical, book on all aspects of hospitality from the heart. It shaped my view of hospitality. Karen Ehman's book is sort of a modern version; she could have been mentored by Doris Grieg! I've already given several copies away to new brides and will be stocking up on more. Not only is it an inspiration to young women, it's still an inspiration to an oldie like me!

    ReplyDelete