Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Comfort Foods!

It's October and that means we're getting settled into our busy schedules, cooler weather has come and it's the calm before the holiday storm. This month we want to share recipes that bring you comfort. What is that go to recipe whenever you're needing a little pick me up? Maybe it's something your mom or grandmother used to make, a childhood favorite, a yummy dessert or something that celebrates your heritage. Hey, it could even be your favorite take out dish! ;-)
Just don't forget to blog about it and link up to share!

I don't know why this is a family favorite in our house, but seriously every time I make it there is never any leftovers, everyone is very happy and it's pretty simple to make!


Poultry Farmer's Pie
(aka Shepherd Pie)
1 lb ground meat
approx. 2 cups of gravy
1 bag frozen veggies
6-8 servings prepared mashed potatoes
Start by browning some meat in a pan, I use ground turkey seasoning with garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle on one packet gravy, I use turkey gravy, and some water (Using the packet to measure out the water according to pkg directions) and simmer for a few minutes, until gravy thickens. Stir occasionally. If your pan is not oven safe, transfer meat and gravy to an oven safe dish, add a layer of vegetables (frozen, canned (drained) or fresh doesn't matter). I usually use corn. Then add a top layer of prepared mashed potatoes (again instant or fresh doesn't really matter). Place in a 350 deg. oven for about 25-40 minutes or until golden peaks start to show on the potatoes. Serve with a salad and bread or as is.

I like this dish because you can make it as fancy or simple as you like it. You can use more expensive meats, make your own gravy, add fresh veggies and pipe on your mashed potatoes for a really sophisticated meal or just keep it basic, like we do. It's delicious either way! Got me thinking too, this would be a great way to serve up Thanksgiving left overs. Just layer cooked foods in an oven safe dish and bake until heated through!

photo from channel4.com
Look at this shepherd pie that Gordon Ramsay served up on his show Kitchen Nightmares! Gorgeous!
You can find his recipe here!

If mac & cheese is your kinda thing, go here and become part of Gooseberry Patch's circle of friend, where you can download their ecookbook, 25 Macaroni and Cheese Recipes!


Hospitality
Again, don't forget to grab this button and link up your post!

5 comments:

  1. I don't see a Mr. Linky, but I wanted to share a link to my mom's delicious apple muffin recipe. These are a must-make fall and winter staple around here. (Post written by my sister) http://thehomespunheart.blogspot.com/2007/08/fresh-apple-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a Shepherd's Pie using turkey before - interesting. I've written up my/my mum's recipe for treacle pudding, which everyone I know loves: http://littlehousebytherailwayline.blogspot.com/2010/10/offering-hospitality-recipe-swap.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a great bread recipe...even if you don't have a bread maker!
    http://livelearnlove226.blogspot.com/2010/10/yummy-white-bread-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo-The recipe I had actually used ground beef and beef gravy, but I don't eat red meat. So, ground turkey was my substitute. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted 5 soup recipes at my blog; soup is definitely a favorite this time of year!

    http://www.lisaspence.com/2010/10/fridays-fave-five.html

    ReplyDelete