Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hospitality and Children: Preparing for Thanksgiving

from Carrie

We're about a month out from Thanksgiving and so there is really no better time than the present to poke around the internet and find some new and creative ideas of fun ways to celebrate the holidays with the little people in our lives.

Here are some online articles, tips, and resources you might want to make use of in the following month:

Make a Thanksgiving Tree! This project can be as simple or complex as you like! This is an easy, fun and visual way to remind kids of how very blessed that they are. (It's also a pretty good reminder for the parents.) I think we'll be making this tree in our home this year!

Learn a new hymn over the course of the next month to praise God for his faithfulness and goodness to you and your family. You can sing this song as part of your family devotionals, or as you are tucking the kids into bed at night, or around the dinner table! Praising God through song is a wonderful way to worship and fellowship with one another. One hymn that my husband has been teaching our boys of late is Let All Things Now Living (linked to the lyrics.) Here is a Youtube version if you aren't familiar with this beautiful melody. (Lyrics are also included in the video.)



Here is a practical and short little article on Celebrating Thanksgiving With Kids.

One last suggested resource is a relatively new title from Moody Press entitled Growing Grateful Kids: Teaching Them to Appreciate an Extraordinary God in Ordinary Places.

I haven't read this book myself but it's on my Amazon wish list and I'm looking forward to having an opportunity to read it. Have any of you read it and do you have an opinion you can share with us about it?


Or, perhaps, you need a little "Gratitude Pick Me Up" yourself!? Then please let me recommend Nancy DeMoss's Choosing Gratitude. I've linked it up to my review over at Reading to Know and would heartily encourage you to consider this read for yourselves. (Just click on the title to read my earlier thought on this book.) It is my goal to revisit this title myself during these fall months.



Do you have any online resources you can point us to, to share how you are planning to celebrate this upcoming holiday with your kids or grandkids? Now is the time to share them with us!

Also, if you have a blog post that you have written up on your blog discussing this topic, leave us a link! We'd really love to hear what you will be doing to help instill a heart of gratefulness in your children during this special time of year.

2 comments:

  1. Can't resist posting this link to my sister's great ideas for Thanksgiving: http://moneysavingmom.com/2008/11/thanksgiving-on-a-budget-thanksgiving-decorations-from-paper.html

    That book on growing grateful kids looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lovet the tree! I sent the link to my daughter. I'm enjoying the posts on Women's Ministry, too.

    ReplyDelete