Friday, October 8, 2010

Practicing Hospitality During Busy Seasons of Life

from Stephanie



It's time to say good-bye to the carefree fun-filled days of summer and hello to the activity-packed productive days of school.

If your life is anything like mine, your fall calendar is already filling up with church events, school meetings, and extra-curricular activities. So, how do we obey the command to be hospitable when life is already overflowing with busyness?

Be intentional about hospitality.

One online dictionary defines "intentional" as an action "characterized by conscious design or purpose". In other words, you plan ahead. I know, I know. All my spontaneous-loving friends just groaned, but before you move on to another blog, please hear me out. I'm not saying plan every detail today for a dinner 3 months away. I'm just asking you to be conscious of hospitality as you fill in your calendar.

For example, all year I have thought about hosting a pizza and movie night for some friends. Do you know how many times my thoughts have become action? 0. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

The main reason for my lack of hospitality is lack of planning. I tell myself "next month" and then I blink and next month's calendar is full to the brim. So I say "next month" again, only to have that month fill up before I invite my friends over. It's a vicious cycle.

This fall I am determined to change that cycle. I am going to sit down with my calendar (which already has our commitments and appointments on it) and write in "Hospitality" on specific days I want to invite people into my home from now until Thanksgiving. As those days get closer, then I'll plan the what and who.

By being intentional about when I will offer hospitality I hope to increase my obedience to this Biblical command.

Do you struggle with finding time for hospitality? How do you solve this problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment