Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Offering Hospitality to Strangers - Follow Up

Post by regular contributor, Crystal, who can be found blogging over at The Prices.

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2
When I wrote my challenge to offer hospitality to strangers for everyone back in October I had no idea how God was preparing me for serving Him through that. I had been praying that God would show me how I could help others even though I don't have a lot to give materially; there had to be a way I could serve.

On a cold Wednesday night back in December we noticed a homeless man get off the city bus and set up for the night on the church's property next door. My husband and I were discussing what should be done about that. He was trespassing, but obviously had no where to stay. Do we report him? Or do we ignore him?

Next thing we know he's knocking at our door, asking for some water. I was just heading out with the kids to Awanas, so hubby invited him in, gave him the requested water and some gingerbread cookies I had just made. Hubby found out his story and discussed the gospel with him. When I returned, we offered to drive him anywhere he wanted to go stay for the night, like the local mission. He explained that he was trying to get into the rehabilitation center down the road and that he couldn't stay at the mission because of conflicts with other people there. So, he was going to sleep under the awning at the church. We offered to let him set up his little camp on our partially enclosed porch for the night, gave him an extension cord so he could have electricity for his laptop & phone and the next morning we would help him get to where ever he needed. The next day he packed up his stuff and was on his way.

I have to say I really struggled with this one. I really wanted to open my home to all who would enter, but also have the responsibility of protecting my children. My first instinct was to send him packing, but is that what I'm called to do as a Christian? What would you have done? Or what do you think we are called to do?

Were you able to participate in the challenge over the holiday season? Please share with us!

Since I'm wanting to grow and know more about this area of hospitality I have picked up Entertaining Angels: Stories and Ideas for Opening Your Heart and Home. Watch for the review in the upcoming months!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing this, Crystal. I don't know what I would have done in that situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I don't know what I would do either. Guess it's one of those times to seek wisdom from God when we're in the situation and rely on His guidance? Sounds like you handled it very well which was very encouraging!

    I am looking forward to the book review! I just finished reading it and thought it was excellent! I think you'll enjoy it, learn from it, and be challenged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies! It is deffinately one of those situations to rely on God's guidance. When the guy was asking if he could stay in our house, I got a very uneasy feeling and took that as a sign from God. I should have added; where he stayed, he was completely locked out of the main part of the house. That was the only way I would get any sleep that night.

    ReplyDelete