Monday, January 31, 2011

Someday is a Liar and a Thief

Guest post by Rebekah at bekahcubed

*****

You’ve heard it. You’ve probably said it. “Someday when I have a larger house...” “Someday when I don’t have to work...” “Someday when my house gets clean...” Maybe “Someday when I learn how to cook...”

For me, it was “Someday when I’m a housewife and the ministry of home can be my full-time job...”

That was the someday I eagerly anticipated all through my high school years.

It’s a someday that still hasn’t arrived.

Yet by God’s grace, He revealed to me a little secret:

“Someday” is a liar and a thief.

“Someday” says that if the circumstances are somehow just right, I will be the woman of hospitality that I want to be.

“Someday” lies.

“Someday” urges us to sit back, to do nothing, to wait for that elusive day to arrive.

“Someday” steals.

I learned about “someday” as I read I Corinthians 7 where Paul talks about single women being unconcerned with the things of this world. “You’re acting like a married woman,” I realized.

Here I was, in a time of life that Paul says should make me free to pursue the things of God (including hospitality), yet I was acting as though I did not have that freedom. I was busy waiting for “someday”.

I’m thankful God redeemed me from “someday”—otherwise I’d have missed dozens of wonderful opportunities to offer hospitality.

I’d have missed the joy of a half-dozen middle-school girls discussing The Fellowship of the Ring in my dorm room. I’d have missed the handful of women of all ages who spent their Sunday afternoons quilting in my living room. I’d have missed the after-youth-group “hang outs” at my house (I was a youth sponsor during several of my college years). I’d have missed the tea parties held with my Grandmother’s china, the Passover Seders celebrated at my table. I’d have missed more than ten years (and counting) of opportunity to offer hospitality.

But “someday” wouldn’t have just stolen all the opportunities of yesterday. “Someday” even steals from the future.

Say “someday” arrives. I’m a full-time homemaker with all that much-longed-for opportunity to offer hospitality. I’ve spent the last ten years waiting for “someday”—and now that it’s here, I don’t have any idea what to do. I’m out of practice. I’ve developed the habit of not offering hospitality—and that’s a hard habit to break.

“Someday” is a liar and a thief—don’t let it rob from you.

So tell me, what are some of your “somedays”—and what are some strategies you can think to overcome your “somedays”?

9 comments:

  1. VERY true, Rebekah! I'm glad you got the opportunity to share some wisdom here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very convicting and inspiring. I'm really glad that you shared with us. Thank you so much for being willing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know...when I think of hospitality, I cringe! I am not very good at it so I try to avoid it! I say "someday" when my kids are grown and gone I will make hospitality a priority...Yeah right! Thanks for the convicting message!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My "someday" was when I got a bigger house, I would start having people over to my house. Most of the apartments I've lived in have had 6'x6' or smaller dinning rooms. But, hospitality doesn't have to be having people over for dinner! We started having kids over to play @ the playgrounds, hosted a fellowship group & good news clubs in the clubhouse and made meals for our meals ministry (as well as other things). Thanks for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great insight--thanks for the challenge!

    I think my "someday" is "when I feel caught up." Like that will ever happen. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Carrie*-That's a big one! I can also be tempted to say "when I've got it all together". But the key is to recognize the "someday", to deny it the power to excuse, and to make a plan for the "today" that God has given you. I'm praying God will show you opportunities in the today you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You are so right! Someday definitely robs you of now.

    Some of my some days are: when we have a bigger house, when I'm not pregnant or nursing (that was most of the last 7 years but is over now), when I have a larger kitchen table, when my house is clean, when my kids are older... the list goes on and on.

    I'm learning to ignore the voice of Someday and just do it. To invite a younger friend join me (and my children) shopping for home decor. To host the little girls in my daughter's co-op class for a Tea Party play date. To say yes to a single twentysomething who asked if she can join my family for supper.

    Timing and circumstances will never be perfect. So I'm learning to lace up my Nikes and "just do it."

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right, by waiting we're developing the habit of not doing it! Oh what blessings we miss when we listen to that voice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you put "someday" in it's place! I recently realized that my more normal "someday" life was never going to happen and I needed to embrace my NOW. Now is the moment to live, love and entertain hospitality!

    ReplyDelete