Thursday, March 3, 2011

Homemaking Meme

from Carrie

Today Barbara H. at Stray Thoughts posed a little Homemaking Meme to the rest of us. I thought it would be interesting to play along today so that you can see how our house generally runs. (This is a good way to get to know me a little bit better. You can see that my house is NOT always spotless!!) As I've said before, my husband and I like throwing large parties but we don't always keep the house in tip-top shape for it. Here are my answers to Barbara's questions. Click over to her site and play along - if you dare!

1. Do you make a plan for the week? The day? Or just go with the flow?

I may have a general idea of what I would like to see happen on any given day, but I've also grown way more flexible with the additional children added to the family! I do like to complete projects around the house but - being 8 months pregnant! - I am subject to the energy flow. And that's low these days. I'm learning to just let things go.

2. When is your best planning time?

I usually make mental lists for myself as I'm going to bed at night. So...late in the evening. Whenever I'm drifting off to sleep.

3. Do you clean room by room or task by task (e.g., do you dust the whole house at one time, or do you clean the living room completely before going on to another room?)

I'm somewhere in the middle. (Sheesh! In answering these questions I'm feeling terribly random! I tend to think of myself as organized but now I'm thinking perhaps not!) I usually start in one room and as I'm cleaning things up and putting things away I inadvertently clean other spots in the house as I go along. For example, if I'm cleaning the kitchen, I'll take the towels to the laundry basket and along the way I may stop in various other rooms and pick up laundry so as to save myself a trip later on!) I call it Energy Conservation Cleaning. ;)

4. Do you do certain tasks every day every week, like a shopping day, a laundry day, etc.?

Definitely not. I'm a mixture of a homebody and someone who needs to escape. So I tend to save errands for the day when I feel like I can't stay in the house for one more minute! This varies from week-to-week. Laundry used to be done on Wed/Thursdays but, again, pregnancy has kind of messed with that plan. Now it's being done when the pile is high and someone is out of clothes.

(If you can believe this - we're still hosting events in our house during this time. If we didn't, I don't know that our house would ever been truly clean!)

5. What’s your least favorite housecleaning task?

Dusting! I am an anti-knick-knack person as a result. The fewer things that need dusting, the happier I am!

6. Do you have a favorite housecleaning task?

I'm with Barbara - there isn't a particular task that I really ENJOY. However, I don't really mind cleaning up as a "project" because I do like the results! Usually we do set aside one evening a week as a family to do a round of cleaning/straightening up. I like thinking of cleaning as a "project" rather than a "cleaning." Calling it a projects suits the I-Want-To-Be-Productive side of my brain and there is a sense of accomplishment when you've cleared out a room and set things to rights.

7. What do other family members do in the way of cleaning the house?

I have three great helpers. My husband always (and has always) washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen after meals. The deal is: I do the cooking, he does the cleaning. He also takes care of all the trash. Lately he's been doing the bathrooms as well. And he does tons of other things as necessary. The list would be long if I typed it all up!

My four year old clears the table after meals and is learning how to sort laundry into stacks. (I have been paying him for helping with the laundry of late because it's been a bigger job and it's something *I* normally do but have a hard time bending over to tend to these days!) He also is generally in charge of keeping his toys put away and he replenishes the toilet paper supply in our bathrooms. (He thinks the toilet paper deal is a game of yet.)

My two year old picks up all stray shoes and socks and puts them in our shoe cabinet and then he goes about the place picking up all of our strewn books and stacking them into the bookshelf. (And if you've ever read my other blog, Reading to Know, you know we have a LOT of books strewn about, generally speaking. And perhaps specifically speaking as well!)

My general duties (the things I ALWAYS do) are the cooking, the laundry, cleaning the bathrooms, generally keeping the house in order, the groceries (shopping and putting away) and cleaning stuff out so that our house doesn't clutter up with STUFF.

8. What, if anything, do you do to make housecleaning more enjoyable, (e.g., play music, set a timer, etc.).

I've sort of answered this already. We call it a project. If we've picked an evening to "clean the house" then everyone works together to pick up and put away toys, etc., and then at the end of our task we all share a treat of some sort. Incentive!

9. What things make a room seem messy or unclean to you?

Clutter. Things just laying around. Stacks.

10. What are particular areas that are standouts to you that other people miss?

Hmm. I don't know. I guess, having little children in our house who are learning to wash their hands by themselves, I would have to say underneath the sink. (We have a pedestal sink in the bathroom and it's amazing how much water and dirt can be splashed beneath the bowl!)

11. How do you motivate yourself to clean when you don’t feel like it?

Seriously!? I invite someone over. =) Then I have motivation and desire and the job inevitably gets done!!!

****

Hop on over to Barbara's to participate in these meme and let me know that you played as well! I'd love to see your answers.

At the bottom of Barbara's post she has links to other articles and thoughts to encourage Christian homemakers. I urge you to go take a peek!

5 comments:

  1. http://skyhighjourney.blogspot.com/2011/03/homemaking-meme-as-started-by-mrs-h-1.html

    Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention!

    I do think it is really important when pregnant or when other things are going on to be flexible, as you said. I think that's one reason why I don't plan too much and just do things as needed -- I would get SO frustrated having to continually change plans, it seems easier just to clean when I have/make time.

    And having people over is a great motivator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://dwell-in-possibility.blogspot.com/2011/03/because-i-love-doing-these-homemaking.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of calling cleaning a "project". I'm going to use that as a motivator in future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I know you a little better now. I am anti-knickknack also. One of my jobs as a kid was dusting and my mom had (has!) every flat surface covered with um... stuff. To this day I hate dusting and knickknacks.

    ReplyDelete